Choir Wraps up Year; Looks Toward Future

Vance Ethridge, Junior High Writer

The 9th grade Advanced Treble choir group went to Carl Stuart Middle School to sing songs for future junior high choir students on February 20. The group sang three pieces: Catch a Falling Star, Joyfully Sing, and Royals.

9th grade Advanced Treble is made up of 9th grade girls who have demonstrated excellence and above-level understanding in their 8th grade year. They were all handpicked to be in the choir and sing more advanced music than other choirs except for the chamber choir, a mixed choir of men and women that sings at the highest level. Many of the members of the choir went to Carl Stuart when they were in middle school so it was real treat for them to go back and sing for the students there now. For many, it was a chance to inspire and prepare students for the Junior High such as Soprano 1 Hailey Bearden who said “it felt pretty encouraging going there and singing in front of the upcoming 8th graders. I hope I and the rest of the choir influenced them to join choir when they come to the junior high. Choir is a great experience and it made my day to have everyone engaged and asking questions after our performance.”

Probably one of the best parts for the group was getting out of school for one period on school business meaning the trip didn’t count as an absence. The middle school students are the next students that will be going to the junior high so this experience may persuade them to join the school’s amazing choir program with Mrs. White.