Cats Pleased With Early Wins, Particularly Bentonville

photo by Jennifer Seifert

Manny Smith, 12 scores a touchdown for Conway. The Wampus Cats beat the Bentonville Tigers 55-41 the night of that game. “I scored 2 touchdowns and ran for about 110 yards. It was exciting to beat Bentonville because we haven’t beat them in 5 years. My goals for this year are to win state and bond better with my team,” Smith said.

Ellie Matthews, Staff Writer

Friday night football began August 27 in Fayetteville. The Cats enjoyed two wins in a row with a September 3 victory over Bentonville and a September 10 home win over Jonseboro. 

Last year the Bentonville against Conway game was a final score of 47-21 with Bentonville winning. Kelgin Thomas a player on the football team said winning the game against Bentonville this year was so important “’cause we didn’t win against them last year we wanted to come back and win this year.” Thomas got his wish as the Cats managed a 55-41.

The first touchdown of the game was by sophomore quarterback Donovyn Omolo. He said “It felt good and it was a huge momentum shift in the game after we had a slow start on offense.” Their momentum led into the next week’s game against Jonesboro with a score of 42-25.

The Cats take on Little Rock Southwest Friday for Homecoming.