Cats Football Season Ends

Junior+Boogie+Carr+scores+against+Fayetteville+November+26.++

Jennifer Seifert

Junior Boogie Carr scores against Fayetteville November 26.

Dallas Desonie, Staff Writer

The Conway Wampus Cats saw their 2021 season come to an end Friday night in Fayetteville, as a 39 yard field goal in the closing seconds eliminated Conway from playoff contention, falling just short of a trip to War Memorial Stadium for the 7A Championship Game. 

After digging a 20-0 hole halfway through the second quarter, the Cats would score 21 unanswered points to retake the lead late in the game. With the ball at the 1 yard line and under a minute and a half to play, Fayetteville would drive all the way inside the Cats 25, and with 4 seconds remaining, drill a dagger field goal to end Conway’s magical season.

The Wampus Cats finish 2021 with a 9-3 record, in a season that saw a sophomore QB take the charge as well as many other new faces stepping into the forefront. After losing the team’s opener, also to the Bulldogs in Fayetteville, the Cats would roll off 8 straight victories before falling to Bryant in an epic duel to conclude the regular season. Conway would dismantle Rogers in the second round before falling to the Bulldogs for a second time at Harmon Stadium.

This season has been one that Conway fans will talk about for years to come, and even though the Cats fell short of their ultimate goal, the ride these Wampus Cats took us on this fall will not soon be duplicated.