With Cases on the Rise, Should Schools Offer Virtual Classes?

OPINION

CPSD+students+are+required+to+wear+masks+from+January+18-31.+

Barrett Carter

CPSD students are required to wear masks from January 18-31.

Barrett Carter, Staff Writer

Ever since the Omicron variant entered Arkansas, cases have been on the rise yet school is still on-site. Yes, there has been a one week virtual school, but that still doesn’t change the rate that people are being infected with COVID. While a mask mandate has been put in place, lunch is still a time that COVID will be spread since people have their masks off. It is my conclusion that the virtual option should be put in place.

COVID number had been dwindling earlier in the year but that all changed when the mask mandate was revoked. Had it stayed in place, this situation wouldn’t be happening. While yes, Omicron isn’t as lethal, it is incredibly contagious and spreads like wildfire. In order to stop this the school should either implement the mask mandate and give the virtual option or vice versa. However, due to the nature of people in this area of the country, my wish will likely not come true. Not only does this protect the students, but it protects others. If students have contracted COVID, it could go on a rampage and spread throughout anyone the student is in contact with. Masks would help minimize the spread and a virtual option would help minimize the sheer number of cases.

Like I said before though, it is doubtful that this will happen due to the nature of our state and school system. Had people listened to the CDC guidelines, worn their masks, and gotten vaccinated, we wouldn’t be in this predicament. The district needs to wake up and realize what they are doing isn’t working.