Wampus Cat Student News

Bohemian Rhapsody Better than Critics Say

Sydney Brooks, Staff Writer

Despite the horrid reviews given by critics, Bohemian Rhapsody is currently topping the box office. So far the film has grossed over $51 million in the U.S. and $145.1 million worldwide. Rotten Tomatoes critics give the movie a 60%, but the audience gives it a 94%. So the question is: Is it worth it?

“Bohemian Rhapsody is not so much a film as it is a dramatization of a Wikipedia entry, watered down and overedited.”, says critic, Kristen Yoonsoo Kim, of Pitchfork. While the critics reviews are harsh and negative, the audience’s reviews seem to be much more light-hearted and positive. Audience member Adam A. says, “Screw the critics. Best movie I have seen in awhile.”

After reading these reviews, I did not know what to expect walking into the movie. Truthfully, I thought I would not enjoy it too much. After all, I barely knew who Queen was. But after walking out of the theatre, all of my thoughts had changed. I was obsessed.

The lights dimmed, the movie began, the music started, and I felt chills. Music was pounding through the speakers, and I could tell, excitement was filling the air.

Throughout the movie mixes of emotions fled through me; happy, sad, angry, and excited. I learned so much about the band that I would have most likely never known. I found out how they came to be, and how they stayed together through their toughest times. Most importantly, I learned about Freddie Mercury. Mercury was a interesting character, very different from what kinds of lead singers we see today. He was spunky, creative, and flamboyant. Learning about how Mercury found his sexuality was most intriguing. He had to go through struggles dealing with his true self, which was heartbreaking. But how he handled it, was inspiring.

Rami Malek took on a seemingly hard role to play. He did an outstanding job playing the one and only, Freddie Mercury. Malek played the role so amazing, it seemed real. I felt the emotions he felt, good and bad. His performance was a big part in how the movie was so spectacular.

So the question still stands: Is it worth it? The answer is, yes! The music, the performance, the script, and the wardrobe all are amazing. It was almost as if I time traveled into the 80s. Regardless of what the critics had to say, this movie was killer and I definitely recommend!