Grady Runs Toward Future in Track

Chandra Harper, Staff Writer

Tommy Grady, a junior track prodigy, began his evolution in track in the 8th grade; he is most influenced by Devin Allen, a runner in the 110 meter and 400 meter hurdles at Oregon University.  “Track is my happy place, it takes my mind off things, and it keeps me out of trouble,” Grady said.

Although, athletic abilities do not run in the Grady family, Tommy’s older brother Wesley played football at Ole Miss University and Grady himself is involved in many events: the 200, 4×400 relay, 4×100 relay, open 400, 400 hurdles, 300 hurdles, 110 hurdles, and also positioned as (DB) for the Conway High School football team.  Grady has won 115 medals from countless competitions and broken all the records for the 110 hurdles in Middle School and Jr High. He said, “I love to run competitively and for fun; when I run, I feel free and it’s like the world is mine once I step on the track.”

Grady’s favorite event is the 110 hurdles because it is more competitive for him as an individual and it pushes him to his limit; his fastest time running in this event is 14.5.  Grady competed in the state track competition and his biggest accomplishment was being ranked number one in the state of Arkansas.  He has received 14 offers to date. “Slow feet, don’t eat,” Grady said, “this phrase helps me stay on top of my game and stay focused.”  One way of helping Grady get more into his rhythm is listening to one of BlocBoy JB songs called “Shoot.”

In the future, Grady wants to continue his progression in track by going to college; his top three schools are the University of Arkansas, University of Central Los Angeles, and the University of Southern California.  When enrolled at the University of his choice, he plans to become a physical trainer and throughout his years he wants to inspire more kids to get active and join track