Key Club Serves Around Conway

Maxie Eller, Journalism 1 Student

The Conway High School Key Club has been busy this past week in packing hygiene kits for children in need and helping around the city of Conway. On Thursday, September 26, Key Club members met in the Lecture Hall during their lunch to pack the kits. Each kit contained two toothbrushes, one hand towel, one comb, three bars of soap, and one nail file. They made 615 kits during lunch meetings. Students have also taken time out of their lunches and after school to make 200 more kits. 

“Key Club is a great way to help others and spend time with your friends while doing it. I like the idea of being able to help people we don’t even know by making the kits,” said sophomore Diya Mehta. 

Key Club also met on Saturday, September 28, at the Go Store in downtown Conway to volunteer and help run the store. Shifts were from 10 am to 12 pm and from 12 pm to 2pm. Students helped bundle supplies such as pens and pencils, organized parts of the store, and helped move items from place to place. 

For me personally, working with students on community service projects gives me great joy. Nonprofits run on very tight budgets, so they do not have the money to pay people to help the people they are trying to serve. Community Service builds strong communities that care for one another,” said Key Club sponsor Mrs. Marie Aldrich. 

Club members will be busy this coming weekend on October 5 volunteering at the Conway ArtsFest in downtown Conway and the Lil’ Cat Color Run at Laurel Park. Key Club’s next meeting will take place on Thursday, October 10 during both lunches in the Lecture Hall.