Cullum Hopes Students Reflect with “Mirrors”

History+Teacher+Brick+Cullum+is+taking+on+a+new+project+-+a+digital+magazine+focused+on+unity.++

photo taken by Kimberly Raup

History Teacher Brick Cullum is taking on a new project – a digital magazine focused on unity.

Kali Cresswell, Staff Writer

AP History teacher Brick Cullum is best known for teaching his students facts about the government and running the Black History Month Museum. This year, however, he has decided to start something new. 

“Mirrors” is the new school’s digital magazine, which revolves around bringing different cultures together and giving students a chance to let their voices be heard. Cullum decided on the name because he knows that every kid is different. Some are able to shout out to the world their thoughts and opinions, but others prefer more subtle ways. This magazine allows students of all types to voice their thoughts. Along with a voice, it gives them a safe environment to gather new information and find ways to connect with their classmates. 

Another reason he chose an online platform is ease of access. He knows that some can not attend events and he wanted to make sure everyone can be involved. He hopes to publish the first issue in Mid-October. The first theme is “Be the Light, Shining Bright.” He wants students to stand up and make a change, and what better way than with this theme? Pieces of art, poetry, and interviews on different cultures, groups, and people will fill the pages. He also hopes to have articles available in Spanish, so a major part of the school who doesn’t speak English also feels included. 

Most of all, though, Cullum says he is excited to see the excitement on the creator’s face. He recalls that seeing his students light up when their project is shown is probably his favorite part about this program. “ I just finished writing the intro to the site. It says ‘ Our legacy begins here, the conversation starts with us.’ I want students and teachers to know that this is why we do this. We want to show the power and energy it takes to make change, and we get to make that a reality,” he said.

To bring it all together, he is excited to announce the resource page. This is a place where students can ask questions to better understand their classmates, and teachers, as well as parents can get an insight on how young adults think. 

In a year where many have returned to school painfully aware of the disconnect resulting from covid learning, Cullum and the “Mirrors” project aim to make connections between CHS students, no matter their culture, language, or background.

Disclaimer – An earlier version of this story was published with the quarterly’s earlier name: Whispers.  We revised the story when the name changed to avoid confusion.