CHS Choirs Receive Superior Ratings at Regional Competition

Landon Rowe, Staff Writer

On Thursday, March 17, the Conway High School Camerata, and concert choir traveled to Lakeside High School in Hot Springs AR, to participate in a regional competition called CPA. 

CPA stands for choral performance assessment. The choirs were supposed to travel to Russellville on Friday, March 11 however due to inclement weather it was canceled and had to be rescheduled in Hot Springs. Once the choirs arrived at Lakeside High School they went straight into what is called a warm-up room where they practiced their songs then proceeded to the stage to perform for 3 judges. After that they went to another room called the “sight-reading room” where they performed a piece of music that they receive when they walk in the door. When they were finished there about half of them went home, and the other half (the Camerata choir) stayed behind and repeated those steps. Although they had 2 different songs and a harder sight-reading piece. When we returned home we were informed that the concert choir received superior ratings with 93, 94, and 95, and Camerata received superior ratings as well with 95, 97, and 98.

Because of how well the choirs did at the regional competition, they now get to compete at state CPA. Senior choir member and student assistant director Kailey Sullivan stated, “It was a long and tedious day, but all of our hard work paid off in the end and now we get to compete at a state level.”