2023 Homecoming: One of Conway’s Greatest Hits

Senior+Nakeia+Jones+is+crowned+2022+Homecoming+Queen+by+the+2021+Queen%2C+Laney+Kellybrew.+

Jacelyn B

Senior Nakeia Jones is crowned 2022 Homecoming Queen by the 2021 Queen, Laney Kellybrew.

Ellie Matthews, Staff Writer

Conway High School held its traditional Homecoming celebration October 14 with spirit week leading up to the pep rally, coronation, and game against Ft. Smith Northside. 

Spirit week days included decade day, too big Tuesday, BBQ dad vs. Soccer moms, and color wars — a day where each class wore a specific school color.  “I think participation was a little down, but I was still happy with the outcome,” said Student Council President Kaylen Coleman, who headed the efforts to choose the days.  

The court of 24 participants were nominated and elected by students in late September and presented to the student body at the pep rally 1st through 3rd periods October 13.  The Student Council selected the theme of “Conway’s Greatest Hits,” a presentation of music by decades complete with skits and dances, including the traditional senior mom dance and choreographed student council dances.  “The turnout at the pep rally was amazing and everything about it was fun,” said senior participant Boogie Carr.  “I’ll never take the memories I made during it for granted.” 

The celebration continued with the coronation before the Homecoming game Friday.  Senior Nakeia Jones was crowned the 2022 CHS Homecoming Queen.  “I was completely shocked, but I was so honored to be chosen” Jones said.  

The Cats went on to defeat the Northside Grizzlies 62-20, a big victory for what some expected might be a tough game.  “When I blocked the punt and my teammate picked it up and scored, I got super hyped, especially since it was homecoming night,” said sophomore safety Jacoby Wade.  

The traditional Homecoming dance was held in the CHS cafeteria from 8-12 where students enjoyed pictures, snacks, and dancing to end the exciting week.  “My first dance experience was a 10/10! The decor was so cute and everyone was dancing and having fun,” said Megan Wilson, 10. 

Homecoming is, year after year, one of Conway’s proudest and most inclusive traditions.  This year was no exception.