The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

Conway Graduation for 2024
Kali Cresswell, Copy Editor • April 2, 2024
Conway Boys' Soccer Chases the 3-Peat
Pierson Wekkin, Sports Reporter • March 29, 2024
Lady Cat Soccer Kicks off Season
Women's History Month: Alex Morgan
Carly Pate, Staff Writer • March 14, 2024

Redecorating a Reputation: Scaled and Icy Album Isn’t Bad, Just Upbeat

On May 21, 2021, alternative rock band Twenty One Pilots released their newest album, Scaled and Icy. When the album was first released, many were surprised to hear how different the tunes were compared to the band’s former albums: Vessel, Blurryface, Trench, etc. While many people may dislike the album due to its difference, many others can counter that by saying that that’s the reason why it is such a special and catchy album. 

Twenty One Pilots, or TOP for short, is composed of lead singer, Tyler Joseph, and drummer, Josh Dun. Since their Blurryface album debut, the duo hasn’t shied away from saying that their music is whatever they desire to make it. The two made that statement more than visible with their latest Scaled and Icy album, which is full of upbeat, and happy tunes. 

Long term fans have continuously said that the Scaled and Icy Album is not like the band and their style. For more insight, the majority of Twenty One Pilots albums, before Scaled and Icy, can be described as devastating, depressing, and alternative. Since the band first started, they have revolved around such styles, so it is understandable why their newest album might come as a shocker. However, alright the Scaled and Icy album may sound different, that does not mean that it should be looked down upon. 

The 2021 album consists of optimistic tunes, such as the first track Good Day. The song begins with an upbeat piano and a groovy bass guitar that just makes you want to get up and dance your sad days away. As for their other songs on the album, such as Mulberry Street, Saturday, The Outside, and Bounce Man, well they are just as joyful and bright. 

Overall, it sounds like many fans don’t want the band to make happy songs to get people through hard days or times. But people need a change for once, and a happy one at that. So overall, the Scaled and Icy album isn’t a flunk, it’s simply a contrasting style to what the band usually does, which is being buoyant.