The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

Conway Graduation for 2024
Kali Cresswell, Copy Editor • April 2, 2024
Conway Boys' Soccer Chases the 3-Peat
Pierson Wekkin, Sports Reporter • March 29, 2024
Lady Cat Soccer Kicks off Season
Women's History Month: Alex Morgan
Carly Pate, Staff Writer • March 14, 2024

The Best Childhood Trilogy

A Review of the Spiderman Trilogy

Spiderman (2002) centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: “With great power comes great responsibility.” Mary Jane Watson (MJ), who is portrayed by Kirsten Dunst, is Peter’s love interest in the film. Rosemary Harris, James Franco, Cliff Robertson, and J.K. Simmons rounds up the supporting cast, bringing some memorable performances on-screen, especially Simmons, who steals every scene he’s in as J. Jonah Jameson, the angry editor chief of the Daily Bugle, who wants to prove that Spiderman is a menace to society. 

There are a few corny and funny moments here and there, but that doesn’t stop the exciting momentum that this movie brings. Filled with lots of visual effects and a very wonderful music score by Danny Elfman, director Sam Raimi perfectly stays true to the original Spiderman concept, and delivers plenty of exciting action-packed sequences that are both fun to watch, and stay true to the plot. For me, this is the most complete and enjoyable Spiderman movie of all time. It’s superior to most of the films that came after.

In 2004, Spider-Man 2 premiered at the Mann Village Theater in Los Angeles on June 25, 2004, and was released in both conventional and IMAX theaters on June 30. Spider-Man 2 is about Peter Parker losing his faith in what he does, so he loses his powers. Tobey Maguire is magnificent in this movie and he plays so well off of all the other actors in the movie Like any other superhero sequel, there’s always a new villain. Alfred Molina does an amazing job portraying Dr. Otto Octavius in the film. Spider-Man 2 takes comic book action pictures to a whole new level of possibility with its sensitivity to its characters’ emotions.

3 years after the massive success of the sequel, Spiderman 3 was released on May 4, 2007, concluding the trilogy. The film grossed $895 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film of the trilogy, the third-highest-grossing film of 2007 and was the highest-grossing Spiderman film until it was surpassed by Spiderman: Far From Home in 2019. The third movie introduced Sandman/Flint Marko played by Thomas Haden Church and Eddie Brock played by Topher Grace, who would later in the movie, become Venom. Spiderman 3 has been criticized for having too many villains, which resulted in underdeveloped characters and even created plot holes. Despite all of the criticism, Spiderman 3 is still a pretty good movie in my opinion. It just isn’t the best of the trilogy. In conclusion, Tobey Maguires’ spiderman trilogy is one of the best marvel trilogies ever made and gets a 9.5/10.