The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

Conway Graduation for 2024
Kali Cresswell, Copy Editor • April 2, 2024
Conway Boys' Soccer Chases the 3-Peat
Pierson Wekkin, Sports Reporter • March 29, 2024
Lady Cat Soccer Kicks off Season
Women's History Month: Alex Morgan
Carly Pate, Staff Writer • March 14, 2024

Lady Cats Continue Their Dominant Season

Jacelyn Butler

The Conway Varsity Girls Basketball team played the Bryant Hornets at the Buzz Bolding Arena on January 26 at 6:00 pm. They ended up winning against Bryant by ten points, with the final score being 71-61. This was a sloppy yet fun game by both teams and everyone who went to watch that game enjoyed it immensely. 

In the 1st quarter, Conway dominated this game, and it looked like they were going to dominate Bryant. Throughout the 1st quarter, they outplayed the Hornets by getting numerous rebounds, steals, blocks, and charges. Additionally, they drove down and scored layup after layup, and the Lady Cats put themselves in a comfortable 15-4 lead by the end of the 1st quarter. 

Bryant responded in the 2nd quarter as they started hot by driving down and going to the free-throw line. Then Bryant hit a nice three-pointer and scored a couple more points to make the score 18-14. The rest of this quarter was very physical because both teams committed many fouls near the end of the quarter, which ended with Bryant hitting a three and Conway responding with a buzzer-beater layup to make the score 26-25 at halftime. Bryant’s offense, which utilized a lot of motion via pick and rolls, screens, and backdoor cuts, was causing problems for the Conway Girls.

The 3rd quarter started with multiple turnovers by Bryant, which Conway did not capitalize on. However, the Lady Cats would quickly turn up as they responded with another quick layup. The rest of the game goes back and forth until the 4th quarter. 

In the fourth quarter, the Conway Girls would respond and attempt to put this game away. Halfway through this quarter, the Wampus Cats were up ten, and they would exchange scores, but ultimately Conway won 71-61. 

Conway’s key player was Alexis Cox, as she scored over 30 points, hit multiple three-pointers. Additionally, on defense, she would set the standard with her communication on the court and the blocks and steals that she recorded. 

However, there weren’t many expectations for the Conway Wampus Cat Varsity Girls because they lost their two best players, Savanah Scott and Chloe Clarty, as they both went D1 to Stanford and Auburn. Over the season they have found their groove as they have bonded and learned how to play with each other. Junior, Lyndsey McDonald said, ” We were pretty distant in the off season, then we got closer when the season started, and now we hang out and are each other’s family.” The Conway Varsity Girls Basketball team has defied expectations and is currently 4-1 in conference play, which is the best conference record in 6a Central.