Wampus Cat Student News

Halsey’s “Without Me”: Smart, Beautiful, Powerful

Grace Talley, Staff Writer

Halsey is one of the biggest artists in the music industry. Her new single “Without Me” is already a huge hit and its popularity is growing. The track is distant and is followed by a beat that covers the faded sound. The distant track is then followed by a short faded piano piece. Yet, the lyrics can be viewed in many ways. The perception of her lyrics can be viewed as heartache or strength. I find it to be both. I feel like she’s singing about a relationship where she was blindsided. The lyrics start with her finding someone broken and picking them up, trying to fix their heart. Halsey seems to be trying so hard to keep the person with her so they don’t break again, yet she ends up being taken advantage of. Once they regain their sense of self, that person leaves, but she has to out from other people about the fate of the relationship.

The chorus begins with Halsey telling her audience that she was the one who put them on the pedestal they now stand on, yet the person so high on top of the world that they couldn’t give her any attention back. The sense of strength appears when she addresses the person by singing, “thinking you could live without me.” Personally, I love this part of the song. As we heard in the beginning, she made this person whole again. I perceive this is her telling them that they are just going to break again since they don’t have her tied down anymore. Yet she questions why she helped in the first place at the end of the chorus.

The second verse is where the audience gets a better look into Halsey’s relationship. The verse starts with her explaining that she tried to give the person love many times but they had problems with their inner demons. So to help, Halsey took a part within their mind and made their demons her own. Looking deeper into this, Halsey actually took a big step into the relationship by making their problems hers. That is a big step within a committed relationship. When you’re in a relationship, commitment is the most important aspect. Commitment isn’t just dating them and no one else, it’s being there for them, loving them at their worst and helping them with their problems. So Halsey burdened herself with this person’s own demons but didn’t notice the bigger picture. Sometimes people have demons for a reason, but this is another part of Halsey’s own blindside in the relationship.

The last part of her single I want to address is the bridge. Halsey addresses the person and tells them they don’t have a need to confess to what they did anymore. This is because Halsey already found out what happened. Yet that isn’t the worst part. The worst part is that she had to find out from other people, which is revealed to us in the bridge. Once again addressing the guilty party how it feels.

Major respect for Halsey and her openness in her music. This single is so brilliant and it’s a definite hit. The story within the lyrics and the strength in the song makes this a power anthem, not just a break up song. This isn’t her crying over a blindside, this is Halsey asking how far they think they’ll get without her. She made them strong enough to stand, so there’s no reason why they wouldn’t just break again without her. The combination of the lyrics and the backtrack is perfect and I can’t stop listening to this power anthem. Plus the fact that the song is completely genderless makes it so much better, anyone can put this song to a relationship no matter who they are. This song is smart, beautiful and completely powerful. It is for sure a hit that’s going to rise on the hottest songs of the year.

About the Writer
Grace Talley, Staff Writer

Junior Grace Talley enjoys art, acting, singing, musical theatre, guitar, piano, drums, and ukulele.  At school, she is active in the theatre and on the yearbook staff.  She chose to be involved Wampus Cat Student News because of her desire to write and be a publisher.