Wampus Cat Student News

Lady Cats Drop Heartbreaker on Pink Night

Lady Cats talking strategy before the next set

Mason Choate, Sports Editor

On Thursday night, Buzz Bolding Arena was decked out in pink and packed with fans. As fans walked into the arena, they heard the sound of the Courtside Cats pep band rocking out, and two of the top 3 teams in the state warming up. Both Conway and Jonesboro were dressed in pink uniforms to support the cause. The student section was full and the home stands were as packed as they had been all year. The teams began play as Conway looked to hand the Hurricane their 4th loss of the season.

From the first hit of the ball, Jonesboro controlled the first set. Senior Lady Cat, Karli Ferguson, was one of the only signs of life for Conway during the opening set. Conway would drop the first set to the Hurricane 25-12.

With help from hard hitters Emma Begley(11) and Jessica Gunnels(12), Conway would prove to be a tough challenge in the second set. After switching lead changes throughout most of the set, Jonesboro would pull away from the Lady Cats in the end. The Hurricane took the second set 25-20.

After an intense talk from Head Coach Laura Crow, Conway came to play in the third set. This set would include many lead changes like the second set. With the lethal combination of Madison Bates(12) and Karli Ferguson(12), Conway would gain momentum going into the fourth set with a 25-20 win over Jonesboro.

It was all smiles for the Lady Cats as they trotted back onto the court for the fourth set. Senior Matti Fairchild had a few words of encouragement for her teammates as they prepared for a tough match. From the beginning of the set Jonesboro controlled the match. The Lady Cats played with intensity and heart, leaving everything out on the court, but they would drop an emotional last home set 25-21. Jonesboro went home with a 3-1 win.

The stat sheet for the Lady Cats looked as it has all year. Karlie Ferguson(12) led the team with 11 kills and 5 blocks Madison Bates(12), who leads the team in assists, added 31 assists. Matti Fairchild ended with 33 digs. The Lady Cats ended their regular season with a 27-7 overall record, and a 12-2 conference record.

Conway will travel to Bentonville this week for the 6A state tournament. The Lady Cats will play the winner of Cabot and Bentonville West on Wednesday, October 24th.

About the Writer
Mason Choate, Sports Editor

Senior Mason Choate is the sports editor.  He is the play by play analyst for Conway High School Volleyball and Basketball. He is a member of NHS, Quill and Scroll International Honor Society, and the Conway High School Yearbook staff. Mason is also a member of the Conway High School Band. Choate interns with Channel 5 Sports and the Wampus Cat athletic department. His goal is to provide coverage on all Wampus Cat athletic teams.