The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

Conway Graduation for 2024
Kali Cresswell, Copy Editor • April 2, 2024
Conway Boys' Soccer Chases the 3-Peat
Pierson Wekkin, Sports Reporter • March 29, 2024
Lady Cat Soccer Kicks off Season
Women's History Month: Alex Morgan
Carly Pate, Staff Writer • March 14, 2024

Wampus Cat Cross Country Uses Two of Their Legs to Run at the Speed of Light

Wampus Cat Seniors pose in front of their senior banners after their races at the Wampus Cat Invitational at Lake Beaverfork on September 30.

On Saturday, September 30, Wampus Cats hosted the Wampus Cat Invitational at Lake Beaverfork, and the High School boys and girls performed well individually and as a team.

The Varsity Lady Cats would start the meet, along with the other schools present, and they would run early at 8:00 a.m. The Lady Cats would shine as four runners finished inside the top 12 at the Wampus Cat Invitational. Senior Meg Swindle had the highest placement of Conway with a 5th place finish and a time of 19:57.40, and after her in 6th place was Jada Harell with a time of 20:04.20. Additionally, Senior Lilli King finished in tenth place, completing the course in 20:20.40. We asked Lilli how her mindset changes before the race compared to during the race,  she said, “Before my race there are a bunch of nerves, but during the race I feel confident in how I’m running.” Last but certainly not least, Sophomore Chloe Mahan grabbed 12th place and finished at 20:30. 90, and with this strong showing, the Conway Lady Cats placed 2nd out of 9 teams with a score of 64.

After the Varsity Girls ran, the Boys would run after them at 8:30 a.m. The Varsity Boys showed out strong and had four runners finish inside the top 20 at the meet, and they all ran under a 17:15 5k. Captain and Senior Max Henry, who usually wins medals at meets, finished in 5th place with a time of 16:26.70. Additionally, Junior John Wofford finished 13th with a time of 16:58.20, Dylan Massey finished 15th with a time of 17:09.30. Lastly, Senior Cade Harris finished 17th place with a time of 17:18.30. Junior Isaiah Strack describes how having this meet at home affected his performance, ”  This course was easier because I knew my way around this course, compared to other races you walk into them blind. With the excellent performances from these four runners, Conway would place 3rd out of 11 teams with a score of 73 at the Conway Invitational.

Varsity Boys and Girls’ next meet is this Saturday, October 7, at Bryant, and they hope to show out again to continue their impressive placings at meets so far.

View Comments (3)