The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

Conway Graduation for 2024
Kali Cresswell, Copy Editor • April 2, 2024
Conway Boys' Soccer Chases the 3-Peat
Pierson Wekkin, Sports Reporter • March 29, 2024
Lady Cat Soccer Kicks off Season
Women's History Month: Alex Morgan
Carly Pate, Staff Writer • March 14, 2024

Conway High School Holds College Fair

Kali

The 2023 Faulkner County College Fair took place at Conway High School on October eleventh. Universities and colleges from all over Arkansas, as well as neighboring states gathered at the Buzz Bowling Arena as an attempt to reach out to prospective students. There, the colleges lineup at tables, as Juniors and Seniors walk around to observe or stop and speak with representatives. With the outreach provided, we get a moment to not only meet with Big Institutions, but also trade schools, community colleges, and even Military Recruiters. Educators, and Students alike express their gratitude for these types of opportunities. 

Mrs. Martin, Conway High’s counselor in charge of Mi-Sh, explained that giving her students this chance brings her a lot of joy. She stated that, “ Our students in the 11th and 12th grade get to go on several college visits, but not everybody is able to do that, so we bring the colleges to the students which gives them a greater chance of formulating their after high school plans.” This seems to be the common analysis among instructors. Conway’s Assistant Principal Mr. Etters explains further that, “ This is a really neat occasion, and we are thankful to provide our students with it.” 

Colleges also benefit greatly from these fairs. Obtaining the outlets to speak with larger crowds expands the colleges capability to broadcast their specialties. Celia Parsons, Arkansas’s admissions counselor for The University of Memphis, communicated with me that she tries to attend as many college fairs as possible because “ I want to make our college as accessible as I can.” She goes on to say that each college attending wants the same thing. “ We all just want the best for the upcoming scholars. We want you all to find the college made for you, and for each and everyone of you to feel at home wherever you go.” This provides an atmosphere of positivity, that helps dim the chaos of all the motions. 

Other institutions take part in these fairs. As you walk you can see stands for trade schools, and community colleges. But, what stands out the most are the military booths. Representatives for the National Guard, and the Army Reserve are also given the chance to speak with students about recruitment opportunities. Sergeant first class Nikolaus Sweger informed me that, “ My favorite thing about attending these college fairs is the interaction with the students, and while it can be challenging my job is to inform students of what we can provide, and help them get a start to life.” College fairs are for everyone, and are a magnificent way for people to connect. We hope to see them continue far into the future, and see them reach their full potential by drawing in big crowds.