School Uniforms may Actually be More Beneficial than you Thought

Rayna VanKeuren, Journalism 1 Student

Many people believe that being forced to wear school uniforms is like having their rights taken away from them, but if you look at it from a different and logical perspective, having school uniforms may make life ten times easier.

Most people hate school uniforms because they feel it is a violation of their rights. They feel as if by wearing school uniforms, they are unable to express their personalities which could cause depression. Some people also believe that having school uniforms can be sexist. According to Natalie Regoli, on Connect Us Fund,  ̈As children start to develop their own opinions, they won’t like being forced to do something they don’t want to. So requiring students to wear uniforms against their will can breed resentment towards the school, faculty, and even their parents.̈ The main problem with school uniforms, is that students will not be able to express themselves.

Though school uniforms prevent expression, having school uniforms simply make the students look professional, but it also makes choosing an outfit for school less time consuming and ten times easier. It also prevents bullying since everyone has to wear the same type of outfits. Regoli said, ¨Because kids can’t show their individuality through clothes, they will try to express themselves through other methods such as the arts, academics, sports, or extra-curricular school activities.” Students are able to express themselves in many more ways than just clothing. 

It may seem like school uniforms are the black hole, but it truly has more benefits than problems. Consider the pros, ask people who wear school uniforms about how easy it makes their life.