The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

The Voice of Conway High School

Wampus Cat Student News

Conway Graduation for 2024
Kali Cresswell, Copy Editor • April 2, 2024
Conway Boys' Soccer Chases the 3-Peat
Pierson Wekkin, Sports Reporter • March 29, 2024
Lady Cat Soccer Kicks off Season
Women's History Month: Alex Morgan
Carly Pate, Staff Writer • March 14, 2024

Arkansas Governor’s School information for Juniors

Information on AGS
Kali Cresswell
A group made flag to represent the teams floor at Arkansas Governor School.

Created in 1979 by then-governor Bill Clinton, Arkansas Governor’s School is a summer camp for 11th graders during the month of July that helps high achieving students reach their full potential by letting them participate in a program where they study one of nine areas. These areas are Math, Social Science, Natural Science, English/Language arts, Development Engineering, Choral Music, Instrumental Music, Visual Arts, and Theater. In these areas students work on adapting and honing their skills to be better prepared for college and have an upper hand in their work environment. With guest speakers and impactful movies, AGS creates an environment for social bonding to help form long lasting bonds. These connections are what form a strong and healthy community, and enhance our chance for change. By embracing our diverse backgrounds, and learning from one another, we form a greater generation full of leaders, and people ready to seize every opportunity.

I honestly believe that Arkansas governor is a wonderful opportunity for our youth. I personally was accepted into the English/ Language arts program, and the experience was super influencing. The teachers selected to teach were always engaged, and picked a curriculum that is inspiring and fun. Even the teachers who didn’t teach one of the core classes made an environment for achieving minds to finally feel heard. The educators were also very skilled in making the work very thought provoking. It isn’t supposed to be easy, but it also isn’t supposed to be typical. 

Applications open in early October, so please talk to your teachers about the process. We will be having a meeting soon about the process and how to apply. Seniors who attended will also be present to talk about the experiences they had. Please keep an eye on your daily announcements, and feel free to look online for any additional information.