CHS Celebrates Black History

Megan Lovett, Staff Writer

It’s Black History month, and here at Conway High School there are many forms of celebration around the halls. In front of Mr.Cullum’s room there is a table with black history month stickers along with candy. When asked about the inspiration for the table, Cullum said, “The table was really just intended as a way to keep the conversation going for more than just one day out of the month. We do announcements, put up posters, etc.. but there should be something continual happening to let students talk about their heroes in Black history.” Students have more than welcomed the celebration, wearing the stickers proudly on their bags, computers, or clothing. 

Mr.Cullum has been an outlet for students to be able to feel comfortable and vocal about their thoughts and ideas. Cullum says, “Black History Month is a great time to celebrate the countless Black people who have helped build our country into what it is today. Scratch that – our world, into something magnificent! Black people bring so much unique experience to the table and they deserve to be listened to with focus.” The table has indeed helped keep the conversation going for BHM, and It’s something that may become a yearly thing. “This is the first year I’ve done it but I will try to do it again next year. My goal is always more representation for students. I would love to have even more activities for different groups of people throughout the year next time!” 

The importance of diversity and acceptance is something that should be expressed all year round. A group of students with Mr.Cullum are responsible for “Mirrors”, something that was put together to give everyone a voice about representation. “Mirrors is a quarterly that publishes new resources and materials each nine weeks. We launched our special Black History Month volume on January 31, titled “Parallels. We love highlighting students and the diverse voices that mean so much in the world today.”